After Panicking I Watch a Buddhist Documentary

http://eng.longquanzs.org/Annimation.htm
A few years back, one of my colleagues hosted a group of monks from the Beijing Longquan Temple. They were traveling and speaking to try to build awareness of their principles, and they had been working on a documentary film that illustrated their alignment with the natural world. I loved the film, with its stop-action animated illustrations of environmental disorders and sometimes incorrect English-over-English subtitles. It felt very earnest and innocent, and it reached me at a time when I was feeling more or less disordered as a creature, as I often do--life often feels baffling to me, not in an inaccurate way--I mean, a quote-unquote accurate perception of life often feels like a perception of confusion, to me. Anyway, I'd had a moderate episode of freaking out that very afternoon about something I don't remember now, and I was very happy to attend the presentation and kind of sink into a message that was calmly mystified about the world. During the film, I was able to allow the narration to just replace the voice of my inner consciousness, and I found this very reassuring and also a little funny and poignant. At the end of the session, I stayed behind and wrote the first two drafts of this poem in the empty lecture hall. The poem was later published in a magazine called JuJuBes, from GOSS 183. Some recent searching shows that that mag's gone out of print, and I'm fond of the poem, so I'm putting it here.



After Panicking, I Watch a Buddhist Documentary

and breathe and breathe and allow
my stream of consciousness to sync
with the English captions on the English language film
                                              I explain
the Serpent Bridge’s decay    
the gray-haired god vanishes I say
in the truck of a tree         not sure why
monks are making clay
-mation stop-action action movies
for English-on-English translation
but I announce that they’re webcasting
the monastery bell
                                            I narrate
over the silent meal
and when the visiting dignitary steals
a pastry from the chef’s rolling tray
I laugh five times in brackets
and imagine myself healed

personality             arbitrary
memory                   I began many
depressing thought experiments
lost golf balls embedded in a hillside
dissolve in ivy more slowly
than species              love
                          real
and experienced once       dreaming
during a nap on a weekday
afternoon before the court
appearance where you surrender

I believe these monks
want to share a planetary feeling:
Earth will miss its failing clay
bee spiraling into the forest
remembering nothing
of attraction                              broken
                                          and why
do I remember the captain
of the girl’s golf team
guiding my fingers       pressing
                                                       breath
accelerating into pleasure
                                            outside her
                parents’ house         driveway 
                                      fairway
   river and sky expanding
                                           I’m afraid
                                   I wanted this
    living like a child wants

        every form of sugar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Doom: Heizer's "City" and Scott's "Blade Runner"

Layli Long Soldier's "38"

Michael Heizer Sightings